Mission Statement and Operating Guidelines
The mission of the Honors and Awards Committee of the FBDCA is to recognize major achievements of FBDCA Members and their dogs, and to encourage and promote excellence in all areas recognized by the AKC. The responsibilities of the Honors and Awards Committee include but are not limited to:
1. Developing a program to recognize a variety of achievements of FBDCA Members and their dogs.
2. Determining what dogs and owners/handlers are eligible for such recognition by the FBDCA.
3. Maintaining the Committee’s portion of the FBDCA website.
4. Working with the National Specialty Show Committee in planning for the presentation of the Honors and Awards at the Annual Awards Banquet.
5. Creating criteria and overseeing approval of non-profit French Bulldog charities such as rescue organizations’ participation in the Annual Awards Banquet, including silent or live auctions.
6. Making a quarterly report to the Board of Directors to be published in the minutes of the FBDCA Board meetings.
A. Membership and Operations
1. The committee will be composed of three to five members in good standing with the FBDCA.
2. Appointments to the Honors and Awards Committee and appointment of a Committee Chair is pursuant to the FBDCA By-Laws.
3 As of April 2017 the current list of all Honors and Awards and current selection criteria is listed on the Committee’s portion of the FBDCA website. Changes to criteria for any award, creation of new awards, or deletion of wards are to be suggested by the Committee and approved by the Board.
4. If any member of the Honors and Awards committee seeks an award for themselves or their dog, that member will be recused from any voting regarding that award.
5. Information that is deemed to be of a confidential nature must be held in confidence by all members of the committee.
6. Decisions are by a majority vote of the committee members eligible to vote on any matter.
7. In the event a majority consensus cannot be reached for any issue involving an Honor or Award, a vote is taken and presented to the Board of Directors of the FBDCA who will then make a decision to be forwarded to the committee Chair.
8. The Chairperson of the Honors and Awards Committee is responsible for communicating the Committee's quarterly reports to the board and generally assisting with communication
among the committee members and speaks for the committee or designates another member to speak for the Committee when questions arise regarding Committee business, including explaining criteria for the various awards.
B. Agenda and Budgetary Guidelines
1. In January of every calendar year or at such time the Club President or Board direct, the members of the Honors and Awards Committee will set an agenda for that year or specified period.
2. The budget of the committee consists of the costs of producing, purchasing, and distributing awards, as well as producing the written program for the Awards Banquet. The annual costs are highly dependent on the number of awards applied for in each year and fluctuates accordingly. The Committee also mails awards to members who do not attend the Awards Banquet and who cannot plan to have someone pick-up the award for them.
3. The Committee is to seek Board approval before changing any vendor for awards or initiating any change in the manner awards are purchased which causes any change in the cost of individual awards to increase more than 15 percent.
4. The Committee must purchase the metal French Bull Dog heads that are used on many of the current Awards (ROM / VROM) from time-to-time. As of April 2017, there is a sufficient supply of heads to last several years. Club Medallions used on other awards are provided by the Club to the Committee at no cost and are purchased as needed by the Club.
5. The Committee sets the price for which members may purchase duplicate awards and includes shipping as necessary in a manner that causes little or no cost to the FBDCA.
6. The Committee consults on and has input into the annual Awards Banquet; however budget for the banquet itself is the responsibility of the National Specialty Committee or Show Chair and subject to whatever guidelines are in place regarding the national specialty show.